I am upset because I see something that is not there.
Yesterday’s lesson said that “I am not (emotion) for the reason that I think.” Today’s lesson takes it a step further and says, “not only do you not know why you’re upset, but the reason you’re upset isn’t even real! You made it up!”
Wow! I wonder how much time I’ve spent upset for reasons that I made up on my own? As in, I didn’t have to be upset, but was choosing to be, basically.
- I am anxious about money because I see something that is not there.
- I am afraid of the Corona Virus because I see something that is not there.
- I feel resentment toward my siblings because I see something that is not there.
Again, I felt hesitation including the fear of the Corona Virus, but:
- “There are no small upsets. They are all equally disturbing to my peace of mind.”
- “I cannot keep this form of upset and let the others go. For the purposes of these exercises, then, I will regard them as all the same.”
What does it mean to see something that is not there? It means that I am imagining it. Creating it. I have heard it referred to as “rehearsing.” Like before a speech or a performance, you practice what you’re going to say, or how you’re going to act ahead of time. You imagine it and see yourself living it from the beginning through to the end. I think we do that in life too. We spend our time worrying about the future or the past, when neither the future or past are here NOW. Why be upset about something that isn’t here now?
Mindfulness. Living in the moment. We can’t change the past and we don’t know for sure what’s coming in the future. I also think, that if we spend our time worrying about the future, we’re actually LESS prepared for it when it arrives. There is a difference, of course, between worrying and planning. Let us plan, rather than worry. Let us live in the moment, here and now. If you are hungry, eat. If you are sleepy, sleep.
See only what is there.
- Nothing I see means anything.
- I have given everything I see all the meaning that it has for me.
- I do not understand anything I see.
- These thoughts do not mean anything.
- I am never upset for the reason that I think.
- I am upset because I see something that is not there.